For centuries, wool has been the first choice when it comes to sleeping materials. But if even thinking of sleeping on a woolen mattress makes you sweat, then you cannot be farther from the truth. Wool though often used for making outer garments that help you stay warm, is, in fact, is the ideal choice for bedding and mattresses even in hot climates. If you are puzzled over the irony, read further to discover the amazing properties of wool. You may find it’s better than the best rated memory foam mattress you will find in your local store.
In a recent study conducted by the University of Sydney in partnership with the WoolMark Company, several researchers examined the properties of different synthetic materials and wool in providing the ideal sleeping environment. The study tested the properties of the materials at various temperatures and humidity levels. The results of the study proved that wool is the ideal choice for bedding. It helped subjects to fall asleep quickly and also made them sustain REM or deep sleep for longer periods of time. Wool bedding also helped to regulate the body temperature of the subjects and provided the ideal temperature for restful sleep.
Why Wool Bedding?
We list out a few reasons as to why you should prefer bedding made out of wool when compared to other synthetic materials.
- Wool is organic and free from all chemicals. It is one of the oldest natural fibres ever known to mankind. Hence it does not harm your body in any way.
- Wool maintains your ideal body temperature irrespective of the season. During summer it helps to cool your body while during winter it helps to warm your body. This is especially useful if you have a memory foam mattress, which is known to sleep hot.
- It is hypoallergenic, meaning it is free from allergy-causing substances. Hence it can be safely used by everyone without having to worry about allergic reactions.
- Wool provides natural support for your body. Forget about hard springs in your mattress when you can stuff it with natural wool.
- Wool is a fibre that is naturally fire-retardant. Hence it is a safe choice for bedding.
So enjoy a peaceful and restful sleep on a soft woolen mattress or duvet.